Thursday 7 December 2017

Friends, figures and fun times - can you have too many?

It has been a long time since I put finger to keyboard on this blog. A long time. Life takes twists and turns, the day to day gets in the way but always around are friends, family and the sheer joy of the hobby. I have been thinking a lot of what I have a lot of in my life and conversely what I want more of.
The first is easy; I have a lot of friends and a lot of figures (unpainted of course). What I want more of is time spent with those friends and family, and more of those figures to become painted. I want less figures overall, it's time to streamline the collection into achievable goals. No more buying figures just because they are cool. Are they cool and can be used in an army that is close to finishing? Yes, then come on board!
Alan and Stephen, two of my Odin's Night friends
One of the really positive things in my life over the last couple of years has been the Odin's Night Games Club. Initially invited by the two original members Alan and Paul I have made new friends, caught up more with old ones and had a LOT of laughs along the way.
Meeting on Wednesday nights, initially in Good Games Chatswood but for the past year at the fabulous Willoughby Hotel, we play just about anything that catches our attention. As much as I moan to them about "sticking to one system for a bloody while" I do enjoy exploring all the options that this fabulous hobby offers.
A firm club favourite is anything written by the talented and prolific Daniel Mersey. Lion/Dragon Rampant has probably been the most often played club game. We are now exploring The Men Who Would Be Kings and Pikeman's Lament - much fun to be had.
Dragon Rampant even has encouraged a couple of the Only Historicals Here Mate players to dabble into the madness of building fantasy armies. Welcome to the dork side Alan. I have brushed off a variety of my old Warhammer Fantasy miniatures, along with Chronopia figures and various other Ooh That's Cool purchases and put together several DR armies.
Kings of War is another set of rules that have made an appearance. Although I am currently unconvinced by them I stand ready to play more games and gain a deeper understanding before dismissing them. People I respect like them, there must be something in them I haven't touched on yet.
Dragon Rampant in action on my home table
This year has also seen a health scare that started my self examination of where I sit with my hobby. As much as I love it, the time has come to rationalize a bit. I am no longer succumbing as easily to the cool bargain impulse (although those 25+ 20mm vehicles for $50 I saw today were mighty tempting!) and have started collating and selling my excess. I literally had a moment in March when I thought "Who will deal with my Good Crap pile if I die?". Hopefully that's not a problem anyone will have to deal with soon but I am taking steps to clean up my act.
I'm still buying (particularly books) but focus is the keyword. Any figures are to complete a unit, as long as that completed unit is not an orphan. Playable armies is the goal.
I have been happily sorting and re-sorting my painted miniatures and making up lists of what I need to complete to field whole units. Exploration of the Pile of Unpainted is leading to much going to the Sell pile. I have sold a bit so far, much more to come.
Anyway, that's it for now. It feels good to put down some thoughts again.

1 comment:

Paul O'G said...

I couldn't agree more mate. I have done more gaming (and painting) in the last 2 years since I got back to Sydney and the Odin's Night Club than ever before. More importantly, its the personal decompression with friends that I need each week.

Good to see you posting again buddy - hopefully your renewed focus will give you the impetus to blog a bit more as you share all the coolness in your gaming den of happiness!